Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dark Trooper... Just thought I'd end this month with yet another Star Wars-related post...this time showing the image that immediately got me hooked on Star Wars back during my first year in high school. This illustration was part of an advertisement that was published in an early 1995 issue of Cinescape magazine (which has long been out of print). It promoted the newest Star War video game, Dark Forces, that was gonna be released on PC consoles later that year. I myself didn't play Dark Forces till 1997—when one of my brothers bought it for his Playstation 1 (oh yea) console, but this rendition of a so-called Dark Trooper got me pretty darn excited for the Star Wars prequels (which Lucas announced in the summer of 1994 and got theatrically released in...well, you know the rest of the story).

I immediately thought the Dark Trooper was gonna be a character in the then-untitled Episode 1 (the Super Battle Droid introduced in Attack of the Clones kinda reminds me of the stormtrooper-on-steroids). Boy, was I wrong. Anyways... To defeat this Imperial monstrosity when you confront him in the final level of Dark Forces (um, 17 year-old SPOILER ALERT), you need to do three things to beat this guy:

1.) Make sure all your weapons are available and full of ammunition...and your health level is at 100%. (Duh.)

2.) Madly fire your guns at the Dark Trooper while simultaneously running around the chamber the Trooper trapped you and himself in. He unleashes a swarm of missiles that will follow you around the room.

And

3.) Possibly use cheat codes.

That is all.

An artist's concept of the Imperial Dark Trooper from the 1995 STAR WARS video game, DARK FORCES.

No comments:

Post a Comment