Saturday, October 29, 2022

Movie Review: PREY FOR THE DEVIL...

The theatrical poster for PREY FOR THE DEVIL.

Earlier today, I watched the horror flick Prey for the Devil at AMC theaters.

I had to put a lot of thought into deciding whether or not I should see this film...considering that for personal reasons, I continue to refuse to view the classic devil-walks-among-us horror movie, The Exorcist. (Traumatic childhood memories will do that to ya!) This is despite the fact I've watched all but one of the Paranormal Activity flicks, as well as all of The Conjuring films—including spinoffs like The Nun and Annabelle!

As for Prey for the Devil, it had its predictable moments of jumpscares and suspense. I would actually say that the recent horror movie Smile had more frightful scenes than this flick, which is directed by The Last Exorcism's Daniel Stamm.

Nevertheless, I think the reason why Prey for the Devil still touches a nerve for me is that I was raised Catholic. I wouldn't say I'm a devout Catholic considering the fact I haven't gone to church on a weekly basis since before the pandemic, but the story about Lucifer and demons still freak me out.

However, one amusing thing about Prey for the Devil is the main location of this movie: Which is the fictional St. Michael the Archangel School of Exorcism in Boston, Massachusetts. Schools of exorcism do exist in real life (as the Vatican really does teach courses about this sacramental rite), but only in a Hollywood flick can St. Michael be a high-tech, multistory compound that's something you would see in a Jason Bourne film, a James Bond movie or even an Avengers flick by Marvel Studios!

As for the cast, the performances were superb. Jacqueline Byers was stoic as Sister Ann, Colin Salmon was noble as Father Quinn, Christian Navarro was helpful as Father Dante and Posy Taylor did a great job portraying the possessed persona of Natalie.

Linda Blair would be proud of Taylor's performance! Even though I never watched The Exorcist...nor do I intend to in the future. Have a fun Halloween, everyone!

Sister Ann (Jacqueline Byers) and Father Quinn (Colin Salmon) discuss the fate of a young girl named Natalie (Posy Taylor) in PREY FOR THE DEVIL.

Father Dante (Christian Navarro) has a family member who is also in need of spiritual cleansing in PREY FOR THE DEVIL.

Ravaged by a demon, Natalie has a gift for Sister Ann that she gives to Father Dante in PREY FOR THE DEVIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment