Saturday, December 24, 2022

On This Day in 1997: Remembering TITANIC...

The theatrical poster for TITANIC.

It was 25 years ago today that I watched James Cameron's Oscar-winning epic about the story of Jack Dawson, Rose DeWitt Bukater and a doomed ocean liner on the big screen for the first time.

I originally saw Titanic at the theater to receive extra credit for my British Literature class in high school. I was completing my first semester of senior year when the film was released in cinemas nationwide.

Little did I know, Titanic would become the highest-grossing film ever (after enduring controversy about its whopping $200 million production budget...which was unheard of for movies at the time), win 11 Academy Awards, spawn a hugely popular song in Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On, and become such an enduring flick that I saw it on the big screen almost a dozen times—through the summer of 1998!

I was hoping Titanic would be back in theaters for its 25-year anniversary this month, but it's all good. (Cameron obviously wanted the focus to be on the newly-released Avatar: The Way of Water.) I watched Titanic in IMAX a few times when it celebrated its 20-year anniversary in 2017, so it's nice to know that I was able to re-experience this amazing movie at the multiplex recently.

Only 5 more years till we might see Titanic on the big screen again for its 30-year anniversary! Happy Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment