Thursday, September 30, 2021

Remembering MY STEPMOTHER IS AN ALIEN...

The theatrical poster for MY STEPMOTHER IS AN ALIEN.

Overlooking the fact that this 1988 comedy flick is only 19% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, just thought I'd reminisce about My Stepmother Is an Alien here!

Back when I was young, I developed a huge crush on Kim Basinger after watching Tim Burton's first Batman movie (where Basinger played photojournalist Vicki Vale) at the theater in 1989. So of course, I had to rent [or should I say, I asked my parents to rent (which, in hindsight, is really awkward)] My Stepmother Is an Alien on VHS afterwards.

I was so mesmerized by Basinger's role as extraterrestrial vixen Celeste Martin that My Stepmother was probably one of the things that enhanced my obsession in space exploration (eventually leading me to create a blog devoted to human spaceflight 20 years later). So much so, that there was one night where I stood outside my house, looked up into the sky, and wished that there was a beautiful blonde alien woman lurking somewhere among the stars...

Keep in mind that I was only 10 at the time!

With 4,834 confirmed exoplanets in the universe as of September 1, it's not farfetched to think that a celestial being that looks like Vicki Vale could be living on a world hundreds of light-years away. Or maybe it is.

Happy Last Day of September!

No comments:

Post a Comment