Tuesday, October 18, 2022

On This Day in 2002: My Student Film Version of THE BROKEN TABLE Is Put on Celluloid...

Talking to my lead actor as my lead actress looks on during the student film shoot for THE BROKEN TABLE...on October 18, 2002.

It was 20 years ago today that my nine crew members from Cal State Long Beach and I met up at a classmate's house in Fullerton, CA, to shoot my student film version of The Broken Table (TBT)!

Unlike the remake of TBT that was shot over three days almost three years ago, this version only had one day to be filmed. In fact, I was only given four hours to shoot a two-minute film as the main assignment for my FEA 336 class in college! I finished in about two hours...though I could've used the rest of that time to film more coverage for The Broken Table.

The lack of coverage was one of the reasons why I would reshoot TBT over 17 years later. Another reason is TBT still being my favorite of four films that I shot at Cal State Long Beach during film school—due to it having a smooth production shoot and also the fact that my cast and crew on this project were very fun to work with!

I've included behind-the-scenes pics in this entry featuring highlights from the postproduction process for The Broken Table. Most filmmakers today use computer software such as Adobe Premiere, Avid, Final Cut Pro and Lightworks (which is what I employed on the 2019 version of TBT) to bring their works to life; my film teacher had us use old-school (very old-school) equipment such as a Steenbeck flatbed to edit our projects. Pretty gnarly!

And at the very bottom of this entry is a side-by-side comparision showing how the 2002 version of TBT is both similar and different to the project that I shot three years ago. A random bit of trivia: The same screwdriver was used in both films!

Taking a group photo with my cast at the end of the student film shoot for THE BROKEN TABLE...on October 18, 2002.

Cutting the 16mm negative for THE BROKEN TABLE inside an editing suite at Cal State Long Beach's film department building.

Editing THE BROKEN TABLE on a Steenbeck flatbed inside a suite at Cal State Long Beach's film department building.

Using Pro Tools to work on THE BROKEN TABLE's sound design inside an editing suite at Cal State Long Beach's film department building.

A collage showing the similarities and differences between the 2002 and 2019 versions of THE BROKEN TABLE, respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment