Monday, August 27, 2012

THE ROCKETEER artwork.

The Rocketeer...Remake? Last week, one of my friends posted a comment on Facebook about Walt Disney Studios planning to reboot The Rocketeer. There haven't been much details as to who Disney would tap to play the jetpack-strapped hero played by Billy Campbell (unless Campbell himself returns to the role of Cliff Secord, the film's protagonist), but I did read that Joe Johnston (who directed The Rocketeer and last year's Captain America: The First Avenger) wouldn't mind helming a sequel to the 1991 flop-turned-cult classic. Even though The Rocketeer didn't do well at the box office when it originally came out in theaters 21 years ago, I totally enjoyed the movie (I just finished 5th grade when it was released in June of '91... Not to show how old I am).

Cliff Secord (Billy Campbell) is ready to take on the Nazis in THE ROCKETEER.

The sight of a red and gold-clad hero flying around Los Angeles on a jetpack is cool (though one might think that I'm talking about Iron Man here as well), and so is Timothy Dalton as the villainous Nazi agent (I'm aware that 'villainous Nazi' is an oxymoron, hah) Neville Sinclair. And Jennifer Connelly? Let's put it this say: I had a HUGE crush on Kim Basinger back when Tim Burton's first Batman movie was released in 1989. Basinger was promptly replaced as my dream girl when Connelly made her first appearance on-screen as Jenny when I watched The Rocketeer. Would I mind Connelly returning in the reboot, you ask? Of course not. Would be cool if she had a scene that was close to something you'd see in say, The Hot Spot, but this is a Disney film...so that's highly unlikely. One last thing I'd like to point out is that James Horner's film score for The Rocketeer is awesome. Seeing as how this is a reboot though, I wouldn't be surprised if Hans Zimmer composed the music for the would-be remake. Or Danny Elfman. Carry on.

Jennifer Connelly as Jenny in THE ROCKETEER.

No comments:

Post a Comment